Indian gooseberry, commonly known as amla, is undoubtedly a powerhouse of nutrients. It is an uncommon balance of sweet, sour, pungent and bitter flavours. Benefits of amla powder or Amalaki are aplenty and it can be consumed in any form be it juiced, powdered or eaten raw. You can pickle it, make a jam or have candied amla. Being a very rich source of Vitamin C, iron and calcium, amla is a health treasure. It also offers a number of beauty benefits for your hair and skin. “Amla is a very special fruit full of antioxidants that are effective in reducing the cell damage which reduces the free radicals that can cause disease in the body”, says Dr. Komal Bhadouria, Nutritionist, SCI International Hospital, New Delhi. One of the best ways to have amla is in the powdered form. Since amla powder is a bit bitter tasting, you can drink a mix of amla powder, ginger powder, honey and lime juice or you can even add amla powder to a glass of fresh juice for breakfast. You can also sprinkle some amla powder on fruits such as banana, apple or papaya and have as a mid-meal snack.
You may already know that amla powder is great for boosting your immunity but it also has other wonderful benefits for your hair, skin and overall health that you’re about to find out here.
- According to Dr. Shalini Minglani, a Bangalore-based nutritionist, amla powder is the purest form of Vitamin C and it enriches you from within by making the blood vessels stronger and thicker. It also improves your immunity so that you can fight infections easily.
- One of the best amla powder benefits is that it reduces the risk of heart disease by regulating the build-up of bad cholesterol, suggests experts.
- Amla is rich in antioxidants that help in fighting free radicals in the body. This reduces cell damage and also the risk of cancer and inflammation.
- Another one of amla powder benefits is that it gives you glowing skin and also keeps it hydrated. Consume it with water or add it to your face mask for natural glow. You can mix amla powder, honey and yogurt to make a quick face mask. Leave it on till it dries and then wash off. It will leave your skin smooth and clean.
- One of the best benefits of amla is that it has a high fibre content which works wonderfully for the digestive system. It’s an effective cure for constipation. The dried powder of the amla fruit is also a great home remedy for hyperacidity and stomach ulcers.
- Amla is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, it reduces the acid level in the stomach and fights inflammation, suggests Dr. Komal Bhadouria.
- One important benefit of amla is that it is considered as the first and foremost food for anti-aging. Consuming amla in any form on a daily basis is the secret behind the slow aging process and beautiful skin.
- Amla powder is good for diabetics. Amla contains chromium which makes the body more responsive to insulin and regulates the blood glucose levels.
- Amla powder when taken with a teaspoon of honey acts as a great blood purifier. You can also mix it with jaggery and have it daily. Regular consumption of amla powder helps in increasing your haemoglobin naturally.
- Want to use amla powder for hair? You should! Amla is great for your hair. It not only cures dandruff but also helps in preventing hair loss. Make a paste with shikakai, curd and amla powder. Apply this on your scalp and leave it on for half in hour. You could also add few drops of lime to this pack to treat a dry scalp.
Caution: Bleeding disorders: Indian gooseberry might increase the risk of bleeding or bruising in some people. If you have a bleeding disorder, use Indian gooseberry with caution. Diabetes: Indian gooseberry might decrease blood sugar levels. Also,avoid Amla If you are pregnant or Breast feeding.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information.